Return to Top
- Rulandus: The Roots of the larger Ranunculus.
- Rulandus: Tin.
- Rulandus: i.e., Dragon's Blood.
- Rulandus: i.e., Mercury.
- Rulandus: Radish.
- RARI, RAANor
- Rulandus: Sal Ammoniac.
- Rulandus: A Right Line.
- RADIUS ROTE
- Rulandus: Spoke of a Wheel.
- RADIUS, RUTRUM LIGNEUM
- Rulandus: Strickle.
- RAGADAE NOTAE
- Rulandus: Ulcers in the Hinder Parts, the Womb, Penis,
- Rulandus: A Stone from which Uzifer is made.
- RAIBX RUSor
- Rulandus: Stone.
- Rulandus: i.e., Bolofonia, rel Rotigenig,
- Rulandus: i.e., Ash.
- Rulandus: Metal Waste.
- Rulandus: The Body changed into Water and Blackness [sigil
- Rulandus: An Abscess under the Tongue.
- Rulandus: Ten.
- Rulandus: Tin.
- Rulandus: Copper.
- Rulandus: i.e., Salt.
- RASAHETI, RATAGI, RUSANG, KOSANGE
- Rulandus: Names of Copper.
- Rulandus: Kiln Rake.
- RASTELLUM BIDEN
- Rulandus: Shears.
- Rulandus: Red Orpiment.
- Rulandus: is properly a Mineral Smoke, which has something
of the nature of Orpiment, or Arsenic. Metaphorically, it is that poison
of the body which generally is the cause of Ulcers. It is of four kinds,
corresponding to the four elements, so is there the Realgar on the Surface
of Water, the Arsenical Realgar of the Earth, the Terebinthine Realgar
of Air, and that Saturnine Conjunction which is the Realgar of Fire.
- Rulandus: Excrement of the Belly.
- Rulandus: The Stone Rebis, i.e., Hair.
- Rulandus: is the Arcanum of Urine, when Urine is cooked and
skimmed. Allow it to stand three days. Then the Arcanum will be found in
the form of pebbles.
- Rulandus: The Ultimate Substance of Things.
- Rulandus: Mummy, Burnt Menstruum or Ordure.
- Rulandus: i.e., Marble.
- Rulandus: Man and Wife, body and soul, the first stage of the
operation; clean subtle Sand which adheres to Mercury; doubly-mingled Seed
is called Rebis; it is also Ferment and Elixir, Medicine, Tincture; a twice-composed
substance, says Senior.
- Rulandus: is an ample globular Vessel for receiving distilling
Humours, commonly called a Receiver. But this Receiver differs with the
substance that is distilling. If things Vaporous, Spiritual, etc., are
undergoing the operation, it should be very broad, as it is liable to be
shattered by the distending force of a Vapour or Spirit. If, on the other
hand, the matter be hot, the Receiver should have a long neck. If it be
a substance of a middle nature, then the Receiver should be of medium capacity
- Rulandus: Slag, Cooked Slag.
- RECREMENTA FERRI
- Rulandus: Cinders.
- RECTOR MACHINE
- Rulandus: A Governor.
- Rulandus:is Dust, by which Calcined Metals and Minerals are Liquefied,
returning again into a Metallic Regulus.
- Rulandus: A Drying Process. It restores Fatness like Butter,
and flows like Wax. Pouring water on dry earth, they call giving to Eat
and to Drink.
- REL, REBUS
- Rulandus: Sour Milk.
- Rulandus: A Secret Virtue, such as Common Wormwood. It is
its first virtue that it drives away worms. The second virtue is that it
is of a warm and healthy nature.
- Rulandus: To remain as Block Sheaves.
- Rulandus: Medicaments which cause Purging by Stool.
- RES EFFOSSAS ALVEIS SUBTRAHERE ET RETROFUNDERE
- Rulandus: To take the
Metal from the Ore, and throw back the refuse.
- RES FOSSILIS
- Rulandus: Like Spume of Silver in the second grade.
- Rulandus: Resolution by Medicine is when things that are
mixed together are violently separated, a dissolving matter being applied,
and segregation thus effected. We term it Medicine, from Gebir, but if
the dissolving matter be a liquid it is also termed Solving Water. In milky
substances, it is performed with vinegar or like acids. The operation may
also be called Empyriasis. In some cases it is akin to coagulation.
- Rulandus: A Rope or Cord.
- Rulandus: is Gradation, by which a substance at white heat
is quenched in an exalting liquid, and is thus brought into the highest
degree of perfection which is possible to it in its own species. This is
the first and sole end of the process.
- Rulandus: Yellow and Beautiful Pitch, Serapine Opopanax, Ammoniac,
- RESINA AURI
- Rulandus: is the Saffron extracted from Gold.
- RESINA PINI
- Rulandus: i.e., Resin of the Pine or Fir.
- RESINA TERRAE
- Rulandus: Sulphur.
- RESINA TERRE POTABILIS
- Rulandus: Sulphur Sublimed and Reduced to a
Liquid, Balsam, or Oil.
- Rulandus: is a Globular Vessel, with a Small Neck issuing from
the Body, and gradually bent round into an Oblong Pipe.
- Rulandus: is Ignition, reducing substances under the influence
of a Potent Fire, and by means of reverberation and repercussion, into
a fine Calx. It is either close or open.
- REVERBERATIO CLAUSA
- Rulandus: Close Reverberation takes place when
Bodies are Calcined by Reverberation in a Sealed Reverberating Furnace.
By this process, the fire can be graduated to a nicety, which is not possible
in the vulgar way.
- REVERBERATIO APERTA
- Rulandus: Open Reverberation is when the Matter
is Calcined in a Reverberating Furnace with all the Shafts and Doors open.
This species of Reverberation is very powerful, and is used for hard bodies
which are not easily dissolved.
- Rulandus: King, Soul, Spiritual Water which gives Moisture to the
Female, and is restored to the Fountain whence it was derived. The Spirit
- REVERBERATORUM FURNUS
- Rulandus: The Reverberatory Furnace in which
Matters are Calcined by Flame.
- Rulandus:i.e., Filings; Superfluities.
- Rulandus: A Chemical Instrument, of Oblong Shape, through which
Molten Metal is poured.
- Rulandus: Vinegar; some say, Saturn.
- Rulandus: A Pound Weight.
- Rulandus: i.e., Tartar.
- Rulandus: i.e., Erysipelas.
- Rulandus: i.e., Colofonia.
- RORER THECA
- Rulandus: Round Case of a Wheel.
- Rulandus: Wheels.
- Rulandus: A Vessel resembling a Cucurbit.
- Rulandus: Thick Sap, any juice Cooked till it is Thick.
- RUBEDO DE NIGRO
- Rulandus: The Red that is Extracted artificially from
- RUBEUM AURUM FALSUM
- Rulandus: Tinged Copper, Sophisticated Alchemical
- Rulandus: is called in another work Hirudo, a Sweet Gall, and
is made from Gold.
- RUBRICA SINOPICA
- Rulandus: Sinopian Earth, or Rubrica, so called because
it first came from Sinope, a town of Paphlagonia, on the Black Sea, as
we learn on the authority of Dioscorides (1. 5, c. 51), and also of Pliny
and Vitruvius. It is also called Lepnia, and by the Greeks, Magra, or Mogan.
It is close-grained, ponderous, homogeneous, free from grit and stones.
It was an important product of Sinope, where it was made and sold. There
is also a Rubrica which is brought in small quantities from Byzantium to
Venice. There is also a Byzantine liver-coloured Pastille, on which Turkish
letters are inscribed, and it is called Sigillated Earth. There was also
that Lemnian Earth, which Pliny tells us was sold under a seal, and was
called Rubrica and Sphragida. It was mined annually in Lemnos, and used
both in medicine and dyeing. The seal upon it represented a goat. The island
of Lemnos is not far from Thrace, and is now under the rule of Turkey,
so it is easily imported to Byzantium. If its colour scarcely corresponds
to true Rubrica, it is because the Earth with which it is blended for manufacture
into Pastilles causes some change in its substance. The Turks hold it in
high estimation as a cure for the plague, and so also they regard Armenian
Earth, as we may learn from Galen. This Armenian Earth is not unlike Sigillated
Earth, only it is not sealed. Whether the Earth which is made into Pastilles,
and is signed with Turkish characters, be Sinopian Rubrica, or Lemnian
Earth, or Armenian Earth, is not of much importance, as all have the same
virtues. Formerly, one Earth alone was sealed, but Turkish intolerance
checks its exportation. For the rest, consult Pliny (1. 35, c. 6) concerning
Sinopian Earth, of which he makes three species
- Rulandus: that which is red,
that which is very pale red, and a middle quality.
- RUBRICA FABRILIS
- Rulandus: Artificer's Rubrics is twofold, and is called
Red Chalk and Ruddle by the Germans. It is either native or manufactured.
Ruddle is the native kind. It is mined in the vicinity of the Elbe. Dioscorides
(1. 5, c. 62) says that there is a Burnt Ochre, or Degenerate Rubrica,
which is native in Western Iberia. Pliny also writes of it, and says that
it is obtained from Metallic mines. There is also a variety which has affinity
with Marble. Manufactured Rubrica is called Brown Ruddle by the Germans,
and it is made of Burnt Ochre, as Theophrastus and Dioscorides testify.
But Pliny (l. 35, c. 6) negligently reverses this order, and says that
Burnt Ochre is made of Rubrica, against which Nature herself protests.
For the rest, as to what manufactured Rubica is best, I refer to the Artificers
therein. Dioscorides commends the crumbling quality, not the marmorous,
or that which has affinity with Marble, nor yet the Egyptian or Carthaginian.
(1) Native mined
Sinopian and Lemnian Earth. German Rubrica. Native
in Mines, produced by the heat of the Sun, or of the Earth. Native in Rivers,
produced by the heat of the Sun, or of the Earth. When burnt, Indurated
Pnigitis is made from it. Ochre is not manufactured from Rubrica, as Pliny
says, but Rubrica is obtained from Ochre;
(2) Manufactured Rubrica, made from Burnt Ochre, by Art, in new clay
- Rulandus: Rake Iron, a long Iron Rod, having
a Spoon at one end and a Scraper at the other; it is useful for docimastic
- Rulandus: A Spade for Digging.
- Rulandus: A Paddle.
- Rulandus: Rake, Rabble, Stirring Rabble.
- Rulandus: A Mattock.
- Rulandus: Chest.